Saturday, April 25, 2009

Work Duties and Assignments

I know many of you are interested about my work duties and assignments for this school, so I thought I would update you on that.

My work duties these three months actually consist of two jobs. My first job is child care every Monday morning. I get to work with the toddlers and we do crafts, play on the playground, etc. while the parents are in a staff meeting. My second job is kitchen crew leader every other weekend. Every other weekend my crew and I (there are four of us total) are responsible for making all meals, cleaning the kitchen after every meal, cleaning the dining area, and washing and drying all dish towels that are used. We cook for an average of 40 people each weekend, and Sunday's lunch is our biggest meal. Last weekend we had pot roast for lunch on Sunday and it required that it was in the convection oven by 6:30am - luckily for me the new convection ovens for the kitchen had just come in the day before and were installed, or I would have had to put the pot roast in the old ovens at 4:30am (we have problems with the temperature of the old ovens being off by 100 degrees from time to time). I am definitely not my mother when it comes to cooking, but I am enjoying being in the kitchen and trying new things.

Well, my assignments this semester have definitely been keeping me busy. Here is a look at the different things that we are required to do:

Book Reports - we are required to read the following books and to turn in a book report on them every other week. The books are: A Tale of Three Kings by J. Oswald Sanders, Teaching to Change Lives by Howard Hendricks, The Shack by William Young, and a book of my choice.

Spiritual Leadership book by J. Oswald Sanders - we are required to read 3-4 chapters of this book every other week and do study questions at the end of the chapters.

Cast of Characters by Max Lucado - we are required to read 2 chapters every week and to be prepared to participate in a small group discussion of the chapters on Wednesdays with the class. We are also required to facilitate the small group discussion at least twice.

Memory Verses - we are challenged to learn passages of scripture and to "store them in our heart". Every other week we are tested on the memory of the following scriptures: Matthew 20:25-28, Colossians 3:12-17, Phillipians 2:5-11, and Ephesians 4:1-6.

Projects - we are required to do 3 projects during this school. The first project is leading a corporate intercession time. For this project we are placed in groups of 3 and required to research places in the world where the gospel is not being preached. Then we present the information to the YWAM community during worship time on a Friday and then corporately spend an hour in prayer for the different needs of this country. My group is researching Dayr az-Zawr, Syria. The second project is planning an outreach. We start this project this week, and we will be partnered with a classmate and will be required to plan a outreach, just like the outreach I went on to Colombia. The third project is called Holy Discontent. This project is done individually and is to open your eyes to the things of this world that burden you and spur you on to find a way to help. For example, if someone is burdened by child sex trafficing that occurs in Asia, they would do their project on the subject and how they can get involved in changing the statistics and preventing other children from being sold into this industry.

Sometimes I look at all of the assignments and think it is a lot, but I am learning so much and am challenged everyday. I am blessed to have this opportunity and am taking every chance I can to soak up all that God has for me through this time. Thank you again for your support of me through this season.

God Bless.

1 comment:

bookdawg said...

Col 3:12-17 is probably one of the most convicting passages in scripture for me...God introduced it to me during our Fully Devoted (Ortburg) study and has yet to let me let it go. Thinking of you and lifting you up before our Father this morning. ~ AM